From weatherization grants, to tax tips, and everything in between, here are some helpful homeowner resources.
- Obtain tax return information or transcripts from the IRS.
- Protect yourself from predatory lending.
- The Washington CPA society offers resources for financial literacy.
- Foreclosure Prevention from the Washington Homeownership Information website.
- Make a budget and keep track of your spending with this free, easy-to-use money management program at Mint.com.
- Get money saving tips at Learnvest.com.
- Learn about Opportunity Council’s Wx weatherization program, offering free weatherization to qualified tenants and homeowners.
- Reduce your electrical bill with ideas from PSE’s Savings & Energy Center.
- If you need help paying your utility bills check out the Opportunity Council’s Energy Assistance Program.
- Take Advantage of all incentives and rebates for energy efficiency. Check out the state’s incentive comprehensive database, www.dsireusa.org.
- Apply for Habitat for Humanity’s Critical Repairs Program for repairs that affect the livability of your home.
health and safety
- Reduce lead hazards when remodeling your home.
- Complete a free home health assessment.
- Use this comprehensive home maintenance guide from Mike Veitenhans of MV Home inspection to simplify home maintenance year round.
- Create a healthier home for yourself and your family.
- Build a family disaster kit.
greening your home
- Make your green yard even greener with native plants.
- Use recycled materials for your home improvement projects! Have you checked out the Habitat for Humanity store in Ferndale, the RE Store in Bellingham or the Second Use website for inspiration?
- Reduce your water use.
- Get free water conservation kits and tips for Bellingham residents.
- Improve your home’s energy efficiency using the Community Energy Challenge.
- Check out the City of Bellingham’s Water & Money Saving Guide.
- Participate in the City of Bellingham’s Water Conservation Rebate Project.